The Simple Principle of 90/10 that Affects Your Whole Life

The Simple Principle of 90/10 that Affects Your Whole Life

This is a wonderful article from Bright Side about the 90/10 Principle by Stephen Covey. The 90/10 Principle states that we can’t control 10% of the events in our life. The remaining 90% of the events in our life are the result of the reaction we make on the situation at hand. Below is a good example on how the The Simple Principle of 90/10 that Affects Your Whole Life

You’re having a family breakfast. Your daughter has accidentally spilled your coffee on your shirt. You jump up and shout at her, then shout at your wife for putting the cup too close to the edge of the table. You rush to the bedroom to change, but when you come back, you see your crying daughter has neither finished her breakfast nor packed up ready for school.

As a result, she misses her school bus. Your wife hurries to work, and you take your daughter to school in your car. You’re running late, so you’re driving recklessly. You’re still late, and to top it off you find you’ve forgotten important papers at home. The beginning of your day was awful, and it’s continuing in the same way. You can’t wait for it to end. Coming home, you greet your wife and daughter. They’re both moody, and there’s tension between you.

  1. Because your daughter spilled your coffee
  2. Because your daughter missed her bus and you had to take her to school
  3. Because there was a traffic jam and you got in late to work
  4. Because you showed the wrong reaction to the situation

The correct answer is D. You spoiled the whole day for yourself and your family with your reaction. You couldn’t have done anything about the coffee, but you could have controlled your emotions.

To read the rest of the story please click on the link below:

Bright Side

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *